Monday, October 27, 2014

Talk Drew gave in Sacrament meeting last week!

My mom wrote me a letter this week, and in it she said, “I’m going to start praying for missionary experiences.  I’ve been afraid to because I know THAT prayer will be answered.”  I pray too that my mom will receive many opportunities to have missionary experiences, because they are awesome!  But something my mom said caught my attention.  “I’ve been afraid to.”  As a still pretty inexperienced missionary I can totally relate to what my mom is feeling because I feel scared a lot.  Not because I don’t want to help people better their lives, but it’s because I want to help them so much that I’m scared that I won’t do a good job or that I won’t be able to understand what they are saying to understand how to help them.  In the past two weeks I have learned that this fear that I have is actually hindering me from progressing.  Today I would like to talk about how we can overcome our fear of sharing the Gospel with faith.  Faith that enables us to do great things, and to be an instrument in the hands of the Lord in bringing his precious souls unto him.

Alma 32 talks about faith beginning as a desire.  Then this desire works within you.  In James 2:17 it says, “even so faith, if it hath not works is dead, being alone.”  So if we have this desire within us to share the Gospel, but then we don’t do anything about it, then we really don’t have any faith at all.  In the pamphlet “The Gospel of Jesus Christ” that we use in teaching investigators it says, “It [faith] means believing that Christ is the Son of God and that he suffered for your sins, afflictions, and infirmities.” 

Faith is believing that Christ has gone through it all, every pain, sickness, fear, and trial, so we don’t have to do it alone.  Christ has already gone through everything!  He did it so He could be there to help and guide us in our moments of distress.   The moment when you start to bring up the Gospel., I know how hard it is sometimes, but Christ is right here helping you.  Luke 1:37, “For with God nothing shall be impossible.”  There is a promise in Moses 6:32, “Open thy mouth, and it shall be filled, and I will give thee utterance.”

So if there are so many promises of help from the Lord, why are we still scared?  We discussed this in the last Zone meeting that we had and I found it very interesting. We are fearful because we are focusing on “ME.”  We are scared of looking dumb, or having the door slammed in our face, or the million other reasons we have fear.  But when we understand that it is not about us, that it is about the people, our brothers and sisters, who God loves with his whole heart.  When we realize that important point it doesn’t seem to matter as much that we may stumble on our words, because “With God nothing shall be impossible.” 


Brothers and sisters I challenge you to pray for opportunities to open your mouth and to have it filled with the wonderful message that each of us has to share.  If you do this having faith in the power of Jesus Christ, you will not stand alone, that the angels of Heaven will be there to lift and guide you in your efforts to bring others unto Christ.  Remember, “The worth of souls is great in the sight of God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment